6 April 2013

Zebra Biscuits

I've had quite a productive week this week with my new things. The Great British Bake Off has been repeated on BBC2 during the day so I've been getting all inspired again! I've been through all my baking books and have put post it notes in all the recipes that I want to try. With only 4 books gone through so far you can see there is lots to be getting on with! 

These Zebra biscuits are lovely or 'very moreish' as D said! It starts with a basic biscuit dough which is them split into two with melted dark chocolate added to one half and melted white chocolate added to the other half. The doughs were then rolled out between two layers of cling film, chilled, layered one on top of the other, cut into a very precise 15 x 20 cm rectangle, cut into 5cm strips, layered again, chilled and finally cut before baking. So not difficult to do and I think they look quite impressive. I'm already thinking of some different flavour combinations I could do! I'd also love to work out a way to actually cut them with a zebra shaped cutter - I think they'd look fantastic. 

(The circular biscuits were made with the left over dough after I cut the rectangle shape. I just kneaded the doughs together, rolled into a cylinder and cut! I don't think I should have had so much left over though!)

To help me get through some of these recipes I also attempted my first sour dough starter yesterday. The instructions say to leave it for three days to get going so I'm trying very hard not to look at it for another two days! I forgot to take a picture of it when it started but it has got a line on the box so I can see how far it has grown. Hopefully I'll be able to make my first sour dough loaf next week!

I've also made a lot of progress on a play mat quilt for L this week. I'm hoping to get it finished over the next couple of days and have a picture to show you all. It's more complicated than the quilt I made for T and I'm really pleased with how it's looking so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment