19 May 2013

Cinnamon and Raisin Bagels



I saw the winner of last year's Great British Bake Off make a version of these and managed to find his recipe online. My favourite bagels are cinnamon and raisin ones so I substituted the blueberries in the recipe for rasins and added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix. I also took the easy option and used the dough hook in my machine! 

Because the dough contains yeast and they use strong white flour I thought they they would take a long time to make but the first rise was only 25 minutes and the second 35 minutes so they only took 2 hours from start to finish. 

Making the hole seemed a bit daunting but were easy to do. I've seen them made two different ways - either rolling into a sausage shape and then joining the ends or by poking a hole in the middle and then swinging it round on your finger. I went for the swinging option. T thought it was hilarious and was laughing away as I was doing it. I had visions of my kitchen being covered in dough when I tried this but the dough is quite stiff so you can really go for it! When T is a bit older (and not just trying to get the raisins out of the dough!) I'll let him have a go. The poaching was easy too. You just need to be a bit organised and make sure you have got a timer handy (or a least a phone set on the stop watch). 

15 minutes in the oven until they were a golden brown and all done. The only tip I would give is to make sure that when you take them out from the poaching they are the risen side up. You can see from my photo that some are a little flat. I'm also going to experiment with the amount of cinnamon I use next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment